Teacher - Ms. Myka Mayo
Welcome to 5th Grade!
I am so excited to start my fourth year at Immanuel! I received my degree from Concordia University Irvine and after teaching in Nebraska for four years, I moved back home to California. I am so blessed to be able to share the Word of God everyday with my students and to help them grow spiritually, emotionally, and academically as we build relationships with one another.
We will have the opportunity to study God's Word and delve deeper into our subjects and activities so that we can challenge ourselves while growing in our faith.
Here are some highlights from our curriculum:
- History - learning how our country grew into a Nation. We get to learn about our nation's leaders, parts of government, and different civilizations.
- Science - discovering and exploring part of God's creation and how it all works together. We learn about topics such as: Cells, Plants and Animals, Body Systems, our Solar System and more!
- Reading - along with our novel studies, 5th graders will work on comprehension, decoding, and various other skills. We love discussing our Read Aloud books and comparing them to their movies! Students are able to explore our library and pick books that pertain to their interests as well as meet their Lexile level (which we assess quarterly).
- Language - Creative writing is a favorite of ours in 5th grade. We also work on other writing pieces throughout the year (e.g., descriptive, research, and poetry) to develop our language and grammatical abilities. We learn to classify sentences as well as continue to practice editing and the Writing Process with our new Shurely English Curriculum.
- Math - We will build upon our math skills and will get to show what we know in creative and fun ways. Some areas of focus for 5th graders include: finding missing numbers in addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division problems, word problems about comparing, reading scales, long and short division, fractions, and Order of Operations. We even get to design and build our own food trucks (which will be displayed in our Curriculum Fair) while mastering perimeter and area!
Our theme verse this year is taken from Matthew 20:28 "The Son of Man came not to be served by to serve, and to give His life as a ransom for many." There are so many ways to serve our Lord and utilize the gifts and talents that we have been given in His kingdom!