Teacher - Ms. Myka Mayo
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year.
I am so excited to start my third year at Immanuel! I received my degree from Concordia University Irvine and after teaching in Nebraska for four years, I moved back home to California. I am so blessed to be able to share the Word of God every day with my students and to help them grow spiritually, emotionally, and academically as we build relationships with one another.
We will have the opportunity to study God's Word and delve deeper into our subjects and activities so that we can challenge ourselves while growing in our faith.
Here are some highlights from our curriculum:
● History - learning how our country grew into a Nation. We get to learn about our nation’s leaders, parts of government, and different civilizations.
● Science - discovering and exploring parts of God’s creation and how it all works together.
● Reading - along with our weekly reading stories, 5th graders will work on comprehension, decoding, and various other skills. We love discussing our Read Aloud books and comparing them to their movies!
● Language - Creative writing is a favorite of ours in 5th grade. We also work on other writing pieces throughout the year (e.g. Descriptive, research, poetry) to develop our language and grammar abilities.
● Math - we will build upon our math skills and will get to show what we know in creative and fun ways.
Our theme verses this year are taken from 1 Thessalonians 5:16-24. I pray that my students hear and trust God's calling for them and rejoice in Him always!